H2O - Le spécialiste des bateaux fluviaux et maritimes
Leading broker for barges, boats, houseboats
Contact-us +33380392300 and h2o@h2ofrance.com

Frequently asked questions

Where can I visit the boats? Our boats for sale are mainly moored in the marina at Saint-Jean-de-Losne (Burgundy, Cte d'Or), near Dijon. You can visit them year-round from Monday to Saturday upon a simple request to our sales team.

Can I find a boat within my budget? We select a wide range of boats to match each budget, so that we can satisfy every demand. We are offering boats with sales prices ranging from 10,000 to 400,000 .

What sort of domestic equipment is provided on most boats? Our house boats are well equipped and allow for total autonomy on board in terms of: hot water, electricity, heating, fridge, gas cooker

What should I think of boats with a lot of engine hours? Provided an engine for a displacement hull boat is well maintained, it does not show any signs of fatigue. Finding a boat with 3,000 engine hours is not a problem as such. The vast majority of engines can reach around 15,000 engine hours without any major overhaul.

Is a cruiser with an engine with less than 200 PS seaworthy? Not having an engine with 200 PS is not the reason why a Dutch cruiser cannot be navigated on the sea. Normally, these boats have been designed so that they can also navigate offshore, but you will always find somebody who will tell you that the opposite is true. The categories for navigation have been made obsolete several years ago, so that now the rule is that you quite simply have to have the right equipment in relation with your distance to the coast.

I am interested in a boat. Should I ask for a survey? We always recommend to our customers that the hull should be inspected when entering negotiations. This is quite a simple process, since we can haul out the boats on site in Saint-Jean-de-Losne because of our shipyard. Boat surveyors visit us on a regular basis. As a result, you will receive advice from an independent professional in addition to the advice offered from us.

Do I need to consult a notary public for selling or buying a boat? No, this is not required. It is a transaction under civil law, and the paperwork will be done by H2O.

Which rules and regulations must be observed when buying a boat? During the buying process, H2O will sort all the legal formalities for you (flagging, registration, and so on), at no extra cost. As a consequence, you can even buy a boat flying a foreign flag without any worries.

Do I have to pay any tax that is related with the purchase of a used boat? In France, the purchase of a used boat is not subject to any specific tax. It is a simple sale transaction of movable goods without any further formalities, such as a notary public.

Driving Licence and Insurance

Do I have to have a driving license? In France, the captain of a boat with an engine of more than 6 PS must have a boat driving licence. Depending on the type of boat and where you want to navigate, there is a choice of four options: eaux intrieures , or grande plaisance , and/or Ctire or Hauturire .

Must I insure my boat? It is strongly recommended to insure your boat, to cover all damages in case of an accident. Besides, some harbour masters demand a proof of insurance before assigning a mooring place in the marina.

How are insurance costs calculated? In France, costs for boat insurances are usually calculated based on the value of the boat. Tariffs vary from 0.8 to 1.2 % of the value for an annual premium.

Mooring Place and Maintenance

What are the mooring charges? The tariffs for mooring vary, depending on the location and the services offered. Mooring charges are higher for large cities such as Paris or Lyon, and also for the Canal du Midi.

Where can I moor? You can moor almost anywhere alongside a canal or river, or close to a village, or in a marina. In any case, some rules must be observed, for your own safety and for the safety of other boaters. For example, you are not allowed to moor in a bend, or under a bridge. Wherever you moor, you may never obstruct the free passage of other boats.

How high are the maintenance costs for a boat? How high are the maintenance costs for a boat? Click Here

Taxes and Duties

Do I have to pay any fees for using the waterways? The only expense is the toll for navigation, issued by VNF (Voies Navigables de France). The validity for this toll label varies from one day to one year, and its price depends on the dimensions and the engine power. Please note that you do not need to pay this toll if you stay in the marina and do not navigate your boat.

Do I have to pay tax? You are not subject to real estate tax, if your boat can navigate. However, for boats over 20 meters length you must have a navigability licence type certificat communautaire . Sometimes, Council tax must be paid for municipal services. Of course, all this depends on whether your boat is considered as your principal residence. We recommend strongly that you tell us precisely about your plans, so that we can give you precise answers.

Discover H2O Video !

- Read our testimonials -

© All rights reserved H2O | Legal notice | Politique de confidentialité | Contact-us | Follow us on Facebook